books with faces on them (on the covers)(mainly)(faces are the authors)(again, mainly)

I don't know what to think about books with faces on them, so I am in an awkward (as you must imagine!) position of not telling you what to think (what to think about books with faces on them), as I don't know (what to think about . . .)

the only possible means by which to rectify this, is: with examples; and, as you see beneath you, monitor-ly speaking, or you need to swipe down on your device, please, I have gathered some examples, on my floor, and photographed that, and that is what you see somewhat beneath you.

Now, therefore: LOOK



some books that do not necessarily fit with the conditions I am imposing (faces(of the author)on the cover) i.e., outside the remit (there has been nothing official) 1/the vera nabakov biography, whereon the cover the nabakovs together are shown, in their elderly form (of note, the back cover features the actual author of the biography, and I found it too smug-looking so put some sticky tape over it, excuse me, I mean no offense) (in any case, this book was a "pullitzer prize winner" which usually means "an over-extended 'well-written' magazine article intended for those of the 'middle-class' who think well of themselves) (maybe I'm being over-harsh)(sorry) -- on to 2/to the right of 1/ the back cover of germain greer's book about the menopause, so she is not on the front cover (the front cover is just "the menopause" writ large, and in red)/ reader's may recall, and I now offer them opportunity to do so, the post where I failed to locate the image of G.G's groin // / then there is, past J.Ashberry's cocky pose, the Leslie Scalapino book, and I quote: "The Dihedrons Gazelle-Dihedrals Zoom"is the 3rd/ outlier, only because she puts her own image within the book itself, in its insides, at the very last page, and it is a colour photograph, and it is of her and her big fluffy white dog -- 

otherwise we have the afrementioned ashberry 4/, then we shall proceed from the next row down, and left to right 5/ Quentin S. Crisp, when first I ordered this book, looking at the image of the cover on the internet, I thought it was a painting, but in fact, when the book is in my hands, I realise it is a photograph, of the whole form, of the Quentin S. Crisp, his shirt is even mentioned in the title or otherwise, page, inside the book, and maybe even his trousers, and so in any case, the author is featured, quite fully on their book cover, in accordance with the above arrangement -- and now there is the real deal, 6/ Robert Duncan, his face is the cover -- if you experience sleep paralysis, waking up to this book staring at you, is an interesting, um, experience, and this is when I have been troubled, troubled enough to note, as in here this blog post, about the faces on the covers of the books -- the 7th, 7/ Beckett's Watt, Calder edition provides some respite I think, he is looking sideways afterall, and the yellow/orange block somehow lessen ... allow the face its place without being disturbing, if for example, seen during sleep paralysis . . . 

now on to our final row (from left)(8th): Mr Louis Zukofsky on cover of the biography written by the Mark Scroggins, he is in a nice coat, because of drafts -- a biography should most probably likely, like, have the main protagonist on the cover.  The back cover photo of author Mark Scroggins is a good photo also and does not provoke any taping over/

now there's handsomest cover and man perhaps ever, antonin artaud 9/ in edited by susan sontag big red block edition that image is from when he was an actor in the silent films.
and finally hannah weiner 10/ manages a profile view and I think she would make a good fatima. and if you want to speak about the five star stories, then that's very alright by me.

and maybe we can later come to some conclusion or at least "discussion progressed" over and about this topic, like airplanes in holding patterns over airports because it is the holidays or otherwise it's particularly busy, we are all going to die.

1 comment:

  1. I note my error, the germaine greer book, is called "the change", in big red letters/

    it is an argument against the "hormone replacement therapy" "HRT" -- my mother would disagree with this argument by her experience but who knows? Personally, I am against the modern era of medicines that are to be taken every day with little know-how into long-term effects (because they -- the sellers of these medicines -- would have to stall the selling of the medicine for at least 30 yrs so that they (these long-term effects / that may-or-not-be / we don't know , that's the point)

    medicines such as : the contraceptive pill, anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, two of which I have had (bad) experience with, and let me note, I am not a woman --

    so I have no stake in the argument etc ....

    though I have a wife, who may one day -- it seems inevtiable if death not comes first -- shall become "menopausal"//

    a 200 en purchase, at the cherished shironkanedai "book-OFF" chain of 2nd hand shops, we lament its passing// and then its replacement, in nakameguro, that has gone now too, there is a mystery of the vanishing 2nd hand book-shops with rare stock of english (& other foreign language books) to be investigated, after we are done lamenting .

    ReplyDelete