碁盤 the second, radiant-among and frock

I managed to do another sunday go tournament match following-along. Two young men a 7dan and an 8dan perhaps. They both had quite an energy and seemed eager to create interesting conflicts, in a calm manner.

They also, both, seemed ready to sacrifice an invasion clump in each others corners on the left side, black upper, white lower, but as I think you can see, black was more successful. I was thinking of these invasive clumps as yin-yan lungs or something.

It was very interesting at the time when they first seemed to discard each spot and then go back to it in a sudden attempt for survival.

That's why I've always thought go has a little in common with poker, in the situation of waiting each other out, although the context is different.




I have decided the best way to do these sundays: play along until the acceleration happens, it is usually when one or both are down to one minute, and the moves start becoming very hard to keep pace with -- from now on I will do until that point, and then concentrate just on the watching of it, as the keeping up was so frantic I wasn't seeing what was actually going on, no time at that stage. If that is alright with you.

Oh, and black won, by half a point.

8 comments:

  1. and by left side, I mean the side currently close to you the viewer, that flank of it all. I did not indicate that, I apologise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or, you have to turn your head sideways to your left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How complex is this to play? It looks interesting.
    I'm sure the top level is, obviously, justifiably the top level.
    But how practical is it for a novice / complete beginner to pick up and play to at least an enjoyable competitive level with an opponent of similar ability (perhaps a little better in order to instruct)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~ go is supposed to be the most complex game to play, for example, it is a good test of AI computer things, they are nowhere near pro level yet apparently, unlike chess. but maybe that is because there is something very weird at the heart if go.

    you can play it first on a 9x9 board to explore the implications. this software does that: http://www.smart-games.com/igowin.html

    mainly it is a source of mystery, I think no-one is sure what the problem of go actually is. It is very absorbing and pleasant to play. It has a good handicap system to balance skill also. I recommend the experience.

    Mio's father is coming soon so I am trying to study and finding I know nothing. But I will trod on among the twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant heart of go end of 1st paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this site will probably be useful, via this point: http://senseis.xmp.net/?PagesForBeginners
    though now and then they get infatuated with the lingo feeling they are exotic and so on. Like some western buddhist/yogi types who get maybe carried away on a form of orientalism.

    that's one thing you may learn, the mystery is not exotic, it is like a precise logic machine core but always receding out of sight.

    mystery that is very apparent yet mystery still.

    I don't know. I should go to bed soon, according to, like, nighttime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Efkaristo...
    I will endeavour to study the ways and forms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what does "Efkaristo" mean?

    I am trying to return to things, how things went. Hold on. Or, it is probably not worth any holding on or nothing.

    ReplyDelete